Why ANIME is better
than MOST American TV
NOTE: This is a RANT. Your mileage may vary, as they say on 'tvtropes', and
of course notable exceptions exist for each category. What I refer to here is the GENERAL APPEARANCE
that American TV shows have, in my opinion.
- Most American TV, particularly sitcoms and 'reality' TV, is oriented towards Jr. High School age (or lower)
Conversely, a LARGE PORTION of Anime is oriented towards high school and college-age,
and a small fraction is targeted specifically at adults (non-pornographic)
- American TV is bowdlerized for all of the WRONG reasons
Example, Teen sluttiness is ok, fighting back against bullies is NOT.
In fact, fighting for ANYTHING (not in a '1960's kind of way) is NOT acceptable on
American TV outside of specific genres. You're just supposed to "take" what's dished out to you
and only WHINE about it or 'tell someone else'?
Most of the popular (non-comedy) anime is the OPPOSITE of this
- Sappiness is the norm, especially for 'family television'. Aesop, stop trying to be my conscience!
- Tweenage sitcoms and MTV. 'Nuff said.
- Bitchy/whiny women are portrayed as 'the norm' [this goes double for 'reality' shows]
Notable exceptions exists, usually in the handful of 'made for the intelligent' shows like
[N]CIS, Law & Order, Mythbusters, etc.
- Jerk-Ass and wimpy men are portrayed as 'the norm'
Again, notable exceptions exist, usually in the handful of 'made for the intelligent' shows.
- In American TV, 'Religion' equals 'asshat backwater bible-belt redneck' (and usually a closet hypocrite)
Notably, the current 'political correctness' wave of pro-Islam averts this, for Islam only
In Anime, all religions are treated equally, both in a positive and cynical light
Yes, the lack of 'political correctness' _IS_ refreshing
- Petty arguments are entertaining [NOT]. AKA "Why I hate 'Reality TV' in general."
- War is by remote control, and "bang bang you're dead"
In typical American TV, if people get killed, there is no blood/injury/trauma/lingering.
And it's 'bang' and you're dead, except for notable 'good guys' that claim "it's only a flesh wound".
And aside from the occasional 'Red Shirt', nobody on YOUR side actually dies.
In Anime, YOUR people actually get killed, maimed, and otherwise seriously injured, and have to deal with the
aftermath. Often they continue fighting anyway while they're dying as a heroic sacrifice.
- American TV's "Politically Correct Racism." OK, political correctness in general.
It's ok if you're XXX and you insult XXX, YYY is supposed to act or speak 'this way', etc.
Even the SPORTS NETWORKS do this.
Lampshaded and played for laughs on 'The Boondocks'
I'll add to this list as I think of more stuff